New Regulations for England will ban single-use plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds in new Regulations effective 1 October 2020.
Following Scottish Regulations in 2019 (The Environmental Protection (Cotton Buds) (Scotland) Regulations 2019), the English Regulations ban these single-use plastic items from 1 October 2020.
Subject to a transitional period to allow for existing purchased single-use items before 1 October 2020 to continue to be available to supply or sell these supplies until 1 April 2021.
Key exemptions are:
Single-use plastic straws
- Registered pharmacies must not display or advertise single-use plastic straws in-store but they can be advertised online
- Catering establishments with food and drink for immediate consumption must keep straws where customers cannot see or help themselves to them & only give straws to customers that request them and not offer them, verbally or in writing
- Medical devices or used for medical purposes
- Care Homes, prisons, school and early school providers
Single-use plastic cotton buds
- For use as medical devices or for medical purposes
A copy of the new Regulations for England (The Environmental Protection (Plastic Straws, Cotton Buds and Stirrers) (England) Regulations 2020) can be downloaded here
1. Obtain a copy of the 2020 Regulations
2. Review the and decide compliance with the 2000 Regulations
3. Take action to comply with the new compliance requirements
#SingelUsePlastic, #Compliance, #LegalRegister