Regulation of plastic stemmed Cotton Buds has become necessary as part of the commitment to #beatplasticpollution within the United Kingdom.
The new Scottish Regulations prohibit the manufacture and the sale of plastic stemmed cotton buds & come into force on 12 October 2019.
It makes provision for:
- An offence for a person to manufacture, supply, offer to supply, or have in their possession for supply, any plastic stemmed cotton bud. A person found guilty of such an offence will be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £5,000 or on conviction on indictment to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both.
- Offences by bodies corporate, Scottish partnerships and unincorporated associations.
- A local authority to authorise any person to exercise any of the specified powers under the Regulations.
- Enforcement officer powers of entry and associated powers to carry out investigations in order to determine whether an offence under the Regulations has been committed, or is being, committed.
- Entry under warrant, where the use of force to effect entry may be required.
A copy of the Regulations (as made) are available for download here