EMAS-registered organisations will need to update their environmental reporting in-line with the new requirements of the amended Annex IV of the EMAS Regulation which was published by the European Commission.
Users of EMAS (Eco-Management and Audit Scheme) will be familiar with the Annex IV requirements, which regulates the environmental reporting requirements for an EMAS registered organisation.
The revised version of Annex IV has been developed in cooperation with the member states of the European Union and allows EMAS organisations new opportunities to report on their environmental performance.
This amendment replaces the entire text of Annex IV within the EMAS Regulation itself. It includes an update of EMAS’ core indicators and the language of the environmental statement. Also, the modified Annex IV makes it easier for organisations to use their EMAS environmental statement for other reporting obligations.
It comes into force from 9 Janaury 2019.
However, there are two specific transitional arrangements for the following cases:
- If the validation of an environmental statement or updated environmental statement is due to be carried out under the EMAS Regulation after the date of entry (9 January 2019) into force of this Regulation but before 9 January 2020, the statement may on that occasion, in agreement with the environmental verifier and the Competent Body, be validated under the original Annex IV requirements.
- If a non-validated updated environmental statement is due to be forwarded to a Competent Body under Article 7(3) of the EMAS Regulation after the date of entry (9 January 2019) into force of this Regulation but before 9 January 2020, the statement may on that occasion, in agreement with the Competent Body, be prepared under the original Annex IV requirements.
1. If your organisation is EMAS-registered, obtain the revised Annex IV.
2. Review and understand the revised requirements.
3. Implement the changes to your environmental reporting.